With continued business growth and expanding engineering initiatives, AirClean Systems has an immediate opportunity for a full-time Automation/Robotics Engineer. AirClean Systems designs and manufactures ductless fume hoods, laminar flow hoods and related enclosures for institutions worldwide.
Established in 1992, AirClean Systems is the largest North American manufacturer of ductless laboratory safety equipment and forensic containment solutions. We are an international company with divisions in the US and Australia, as well as distributors worldwide. AirClean Systems products are used by major pharmaceutical companies, petroleum companies, federal, state and local law enforcement agencies, schools, colleges, universities and medical institutions worldwide. Many of our products can even be seen in popular television dramas and movies.
JOB TASKS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As part of the Engineering group reporting to the Manager of Engineering, you will be responsible for designing, programming and installing robotic systems to improve the consistency and efficiency of manufacturing processes. You must have a solid understanding of software and electrical design principles as well as a general level of mechanical design principles. For each project, you will be working with production to understand the current processes, working with suppliers to recommend automation solutions, providing capital expense justification to management, leading the project and meeting milestones and transitioning the development automation system over to production. You must be able to translate general requirements into detailed technical solutions and transform new ideas and innovation into tangible prototypes / demonstration units in a rapid manner. You will need to be a good communicator, both written and verbal.
As part of a small engineering team, you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects and expand your skill set, while seeing your work have a direct impact on AirClean Systems, its parent and affiliate companies’ success.
The appropriate candidate will be self-motivated with a willingness to work with and receive feedback from team members and decision makers.
• Work as the leader of a small team on automation projects
• Performing system design, programming, simulation and testing, and
start-up of new automation solutions
• Determining proper robot sizing, torque/speed calculations, feed rates,
fixture designs, robot safety and documentation of new robotics
• Maintaining and ensuring continuous improvement of operations and
• Communicating effectively both orally and written with co-workers and
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science
or Automation/Robotics Engineering is required
• 3 or more years of experience with designing and implementing
• 3 or more years of experience in a manufacturing environment
• Experience with one or more of the following robots: ABB, Adept,
Fanuc, Kuka, Motoman, Nachi, Seiko, Sankyo, Universal Robots, etc.
• Experience in PLCs such as Allen Bradley, Siemens, GE, Omron,
• Experience with implementing vision systems
• Ability to design and incorporate various controls components
• Ability to read and understand mechanical and electrical drawings
• Ability to problem solve and provide out-of-the-box solutions
• Must be able to work well in a team environment as well as
independently with little supervision
• Must be able to work well under pressure and to remain flexible to
changing schedules and demands
• System level design, prototype build, test and integration
• Experience with fixture designs
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Troubleshooting, testing, and analysis skills
• Experience with Universal Robots
• Experience with 7th axis implementation
• Experience with welding automation
• Familiarity with metal welding, plastic thermal welding and
• Experience with common robotics system communication protocols
(TCP/IP, RS232, RS485, USB, Ethernet, CAN bus, I2C, etc.)
• Lead Automation projects (planning, scheduling, budgeting)
• Automation projects are accomplished in a timely manner and timelines
are maintained and achieved
• Products meet quality expectations
• Errors and mistakes are kept to a minimum because follow-up review is
• Foster a team environment between engineering, management and
production to ensure successful handoff of automation systems
• Develop and maintain a creative environment for new ideas and
Terms of employment
This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position.
The general hours shall be Monday – Friday, 9:00am to 4:00pm with an
hour break for lunch. As a salaried employee you are expected to work
at least forty two and one-half (42.50) hours per week. Our flex
schedule policy applies to you. You can flex around the core hours listed
above to complete the remaining required hours in the office.
Work is regularly performed in office and warehouse environments.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that
must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job. The employee is frequently required to sit. The
employee is occasionally required to stand and/or walk. The employee
must occasionally lift, carry, push or pull up to 80 pounds.
Minimal travel may be required.
Compensation package includes major medical benefits, life insurance
and 401K plan with employer contribution